The ISEE Africa Chapter was established by the ISEE Council in September 2016. Its mission is to promote contact between and action by Africa members on matters related to environmental health, to strengthen epidemiological research and capacity development in environmental health and to improve public health outcomes in Africa.
To support the Mission, the main aims of the Africa Chapter are:
- to identify major environmental health problems in the region;
- to promote epidemiological research in environmental epidemiology in the region;
- to promote research collaboration, academic exchange and capacity development including training in environmental epidemiology in the region;
- to interact with local, federal, regional, and international organizations; and
- to translate research findings into timely and effective policy frameworks.
The accomplishment of these aims should lead to an increased number of publications, fundraising, research collaboration, academic exchanges, knowledge translation, strategic alliances with national and international agencies, and assistance in prevention and control programs related to environmental health problems, led by members of ISEE Africa Chapter.
The Africa Chapter includes all 47 countries that correspond to the WHO African Region. Members of the ISEE Africa Chapter will be classified in the following categories:
African Chapter Symposia at the annual ISEE conference
Regular members: ISEE members who are nationals of Africa or residing in Africa, as defined above, are automatically members of the Chapter, unless they opt out.
- Associate members: All ISEE members who were not nationals from and who do not reside in Africa but conduct environmental epidemiology research in Africa are eligible to join the Africa Chapter subject to completing a membership application process.
The African chapter will sponsor symposiums at the annual conference that meet the following criteria and are accepted through the conference’s scientific review committee process. Symposiums must meet the following minimum criteria:
For further information about the Africa Chapter, please contact:
- The Symposium must be on a topic related to the ISEE conference theme and must address an issue of concern to Africa.
- The symposium should be 90 minutes containing from 3 to 5 talks (or as advised by conference organizers).
- The title of the talks should be included in the symposium proposal.
- One (or two co-) lead person(s) must submit the symposium proposal and co-ordinate other speakers’ submission for the session.
- Symposium convenors are encouraged to involve as much as possible African studies and presenters from the ISEE Africa chapter. The chapter Executive council may assist the symposium initiator(s) in finding additional contributors to their symposium.
- The symposium proposal submission must use the template and stipulated timeline by conference organizers (e.g. ISEE 2019 opens on November 9, 2018 and ends on 31 January 2019).
- The symposium proposal must be submitted to chapter EC for consideration at least 2 weeks before closing date.
Adetoun Mustapha, PhD, DIC, MPH
Executive Council of the Africa Chapter
Chair, ISEE Africa Chapter
Phone (mobile): +234(0)8052771136
Brama Koné, PhD. Eng.
Co-Chair, ISEE Africa Chapter
Phone (mobile): +225 05076188 /+225 03488904
Adetoun Mustapha, Nigeria
Brama Koné, Cote d'Ivoire
Aqiel Dalvie, South Africa
Kouadio Kouamé, Cote d'Ivoire
Sokhna Thiam, Senegal
Kouassi Richard MBra, Cote d'Ivoire
Gueladio Cisse, Mauritania
Africa Chapter ByLaws (pdf)
ISEE Africa Chapter membership application (pdf)
Have your say on the Africa Chapter (pdf)